Monday, July 15, 2013

WWE's Great Summer 180

So, pre-WM29 I was really down on the WWE.  The WWE had again gone to the well for big matches that would do little to push superstars post Mania.  The Undertaker, HHH, the Rock, and Brock Lesnar are at best part time stars, but where all involved in the pivotal matches at Mania.  That's how you build a buyrate, but it does nothing for the long term as evidenced by the ratings post mania and the need to bring CM Punk back sooner than planned.

The Post Mania world seemed like an even worse place to be.  Lesnar and HHH re-matched with very little fan fare and it appeared the WWE was going with a concussion angle.  That angle seemed like it was really in really poor taste and it seems like have steered away from it.  That seemed like their first good decision in months.

Going into Extreme Rules I thought the WWE was in major hot water, but then it happened.  Things started falling into place just one week out.  The Punk match took on a life of it's own.  Heyman carried the buildup.  Curtis Axel got introduced and although that wasn't earth shattering news it was interesting.  I think we all want to believe he's special because he's with Heyman.  Let's face it Heyman is the WWE's best character.  I hope they realize it.  He's working on putting his face up their with Heenan on the Mt. Rushmore of great managers.

The Shield who I felt like were being force feed won titles and looked impressive doing it.  While I feel they could stand to lose the army tack gear and just come down to the ring from the entrance, I'm starting to think the over push is paying off.  I really look at them as invincible to a degree.  The angle still has mileage.

The I COULD SEE IT FROM A MILE AWAY team Hell No break up went better than I thought.  Why, because they didn't really break up.  They kind of just melted down in and interesting way, and Daniel Bryan got a huge push out of the deal.  Suddenly Bryan was the hottest thing going.  Also, the continued mileage out of Kane's career just keeps going.  He's really an unsong hero for the WWE.  He's not great in the ring or on the mic, but he just keeps staying relevant.  I think he's so underrated or better yet under appreciated.  People can rip him all they want he's had a great career.

Cena and Henry had a great build up to their MITB match.  The retirement speech was a master work by Henry.  It was a little weird that Cena stuck around and gave him the belt, but I think it fooled a mass majority of people.  Henry was suddenly the WWE's top heel, again.  It was just another time we all wanted to watch a John Cena match.  You know that guy who can't wrestle, but is still the must see guy.  Longer than Hogan!  Longer than Stone Cold!  How does he do it?  I don't seem him not being in the title picture anytime soon and frankly why wouldn't he be.  Say what you want about Cena he puts asses in seats and works his ass off in the ring.

Del Rio pulled off a pretty solid turn heel turn.  One that many probably didn't expect and it was done with vicious force.  A sudden turn that really deserves a lot of credit.  Dolph was the victim.  I haven't been happy with the handling of Dolph's face turn, but the crowd seems to have taken with him a bit, in some but not all instances.

The Wyatts cut some great promos.  Sometimes the promo's don't do guys justice unless it's a really big star, but in this case I was intrigued.  The promo's they cut the night of their first appearance were top notch, but the entrance was even better.  I liked it up until the Kane attack.  I know it served a purpose, but I think you could make a case for having them jump the main event with Punk and Orton.  That's how big I think they have gotten over already.

AJ Lee has done a great job getting over as champion and making Kaitlyn look really bad and good at the same time.  I was actually interested in the outcome of her title match and the promos she has cut since.  Wait, I'm interested in the Divas?!?!  What's going on here?  A year ago I hated AJ and was annoyed with her whole concept.  What changed?  She got a little more of an edge and stopped being totally mental.  Think about it.  The angle where she created the fake admirer for Kaitlyn was savvy.  I can't believe I wrote this much about it!

There have been a few fumbles here and there.  Fandango is probably the biggest.  He was a layup and at least had a good six month run of singing crowds and fanfare, but the WWE botched it up because they didn't know how to handle it.  Having him come out the next week after his big get over show with Lawler was a huge flop.  WWE needed to turn him face and play up the crowd interaction.  He didn't even need to talk.  Just point at the sky and dance.  He could have gone a little further.

In the end these situations come down to the character.  If he's got talent he will make it no matter what, but in this case it seems like gimmick is stronger than the performer and that doesn't bode well for the future of Fandango.  Look at Stone Cold, given a bad gimmick and he survived it.  Had a chance interview where he blew up and never looked back.  In the end it's always the performer and never the gimmick.

So here we sit.  Another eventful PPV by the boards.  Interesting angles abound and for once instead of thinking the show is an hour too long I'm wondering if the show will be long enough.  Kudos to you Vinny Mac.  Just when I thought I was over you and ready to walk away you pulled me back in.

1 comment:

  1. You are really up on this stuff! I didn't know there is a guy named The Shield, but I have been watching all the old Shield episodes online, and what an awesome show!

    Also, did you watch the Wife Swap with Piper and Flair?

    ReplyDelete