Saturday, July 6, 2013

Random Thoughts on Football 7-6-13

Some times I get a random thought on Football and then try to blog the whole thing into a piece.  Most of these don't get published.  Instead of doing that I've decided to just start blogging some minor thoughts in one blog.  Here is my first attempt at it.  Enjoy;


  • Does Barcelona give Messi, Xavi, Inesta, Pedro and Pique off for until mid August?  They had a lot international duty and could use the time.  Don't know how much value they will get from playing those guys in the early friendlies, but I also don't know what they are committed too.
  • When I think about Bayern I think what scares me the most is the lack of a best player.  I mean that in a positive way.  Robben was a backup most of the season and ended up being their best player in the UCL final.  Mazduric was not in the first leg of the semi against Barca. They won that 4-0.  Gomez was a back up, but lead them in scoring the previous season and some considering him top 5 in the world.  This is truly a team.  Next year winning the treble or at least a UCL/League double puts them in some rare air and you have to start talking greatest of all time after a season like that.  Still feel nobody is really paying attention though.
  • I thought Gonzalo was a done deal at Arsenal on Thursday and would be announced Friday, but instead Real released a statement that they wanted more money.  Then I heard nothing for the rest of the day.  Doing business with Real sucks.  
  • Read an article that Isco was the future of Real Madrid and then another article that the signing came too soon as he wouldn't see the pitch much.  I kind of thought Real needed a holding mid more than an attacking mid.  I also thought a back up striker to replace Gonzalo was in order, but there is still time for this.  I'm surprised they haven't been linked to Gomez from Bayern.  In the end Real has too many high quality attacking mids.  Why keep Modric now?  
  • I might have to apologize to the Dortmund fans of the world.  There has not been a mass exodus as originally thought.  I had them written off for this season.  I wonder now if they can be as good.  I wasn't a big Gotze fan and getting off to that awkward start in his press conference maybe is a sign of things to come.
  • Barcelona are yet to sign a center back.  I'm more conservative in my thoughts on this topic. Mats Hummels would have been a good signing, but rumors of that disappeared weeks ago. I think they just need a B quality guy to work into that rotation would suffice.  Neymar adds defense because teams will have to respect him more, which will draw back the attack of many teams.  Still think the biggest issue with Barca will be trust from the coaching staff in other players.
  • I guess Gerrad Delfeou is either not as good as Barca thought or they want to get him some experience.  I would have thought he was quality enough to sit behind the many strikers on the team with Pedro and Tello, but I guess Barca is going a different direction for now.  Gives me a reason to watch Everton if it happens officially.
  • Is Man U getting Thiago or not?  I would have thought this saga would have ended this week.  It kind of happened in slow motion, but it's a problem when you have such a great three piece midfield.  I can't blame him for leaving or staying.  I hope he stays.  I think it's the toughest decision a player could have.  
  • The International Champions Cup is a great tournament on paper.  Fully realizing that these are just glorified preseason matches I still think the final will be contested especially if Chelsea and Real meet.  That's really the pay off for this tournament.  I think both sides would go full speed in that case.  I would love to see it, but don't hold your breathe.
  • You have to wonder with PSG.  Will they be the next Man City or the next Malaga?  Leonardo acted like a jackass and got himself suspended.  The suspension was harsh, but his behavior was so goofy you have to say maybe it was justified.  Extending it now to 13 months is crazy.  Losing their coach after just a season has to hurt.  Monaco jumping into the frey also has to hurt.  I sort of want to watch Ligue 1 this year.

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment