Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Eye Test

Response was too long for a tweet.  I realize they do these rating systems.  I get all that, but I look at it like this.  What leagues can produce the most possible winners of the UCL next year?

EPL 4 Chelsea, Man City, Man U, and Arsenal.  Gunners add two legit players they are dangerous.

La Liga 2 for sure, Barca and Real Madrid.  Aletitco outside chance, but I wouldn't bet $2 bucks on it.

Italy 2, but maybe more AC Milan, Juvie.  Milan has a young core that got great experience this year.  Now they have Balo who kept his head, for the most part, for all competitions.  Juvie just need one more striker.  Lorente won't be enough.

Germany 1!  Dortmund is a seller.  Bayern could sell Robben and still be the favorite.

France 1 PSG, but if they lose there coach ouch.  Ibra has a short life cycle anywhere.

Dutch League.  Really?  Zero.

Portuguese Really?  Zero

So when I do the eye test that's what I see.  I see the EPL providing chances for teams to turn the corner.  I see some of it in La Liga, but not enough with Altetico and Malaga struggling to keep it together.  If Arsenal fans are mad at their team they should count themselves lucky.  Being a Valencia fan most be torture.  Always selling to Barca and in financial ruin.

I'm a realist when it comes to Italy.  Florentina, Roma, Udinese, Lazio and Napoli will never be good enough to win in Europe.  Inter could turn around, but it's a ways off.  Yet all those teams get some recognition and are usually decent.  It's a big reason why you have to say the league is better than Germany.  One superstar could turn the fortunes of those teams.  Maybe better attendance too.

Also understand I'm not even a huge fan of the EPL.  I'm a Barca/La Liga lover, but I can't make the argument that they are the best league because they had back to back winners at 100 and it doesn't look like anyone is financially strong enough to pass those two.  You need at least 3 teams that could legit win a league for it to be the best league.

I took a big issue with the German league because it's so heavily tilted towards Bayern.  Dortmund won the league two years running so what did Bayern do?  They bought their stars, beat them at every turn and set them back a few years.  Dortmund's fans deserve better.  I think people got confused because those teams made it to the Final and Bayern are the best team going right now, but past them the league is very weak.

No comments:

Post a Comment